Conditions of Hire
If the Hirer is in any doubt as to the meaning of the following, please consult the Booking Clerk Janet Atkinson immediately.
For the purposes of these conditions, the term HIRER shall mean an individual hirer or, where the
hirer is an organisation, the authorised representative.
The HIRER shall, during the period of the hiring, be responsible for the supervision of the premises,
the fabric and the contents, their care, safety from damage (however slight) or change of any sort,
and the behaviour of all persons using the premises whatever their capacity, including proper
supervision of car parking arrangements so as to avoid any obstruction of the A30 highway or the
access to the Church and First and last Pub.
Under the Terms of the Hall’s Public Entertainments Licence, if an entertainment is held, the HIRER
shall ensure that:
(a) the number of people on the premises shall not exceed 80. The HIRER should be present and
should make themselves aware of the Fire and Evacuation procedures, and
(b) if the majority of the audience is under 16 years of age, a suitable number of attendants are
present (in addition to the HIRER) who should be aware of the safeguarding policy as well as the
Fire and Evacuation procedures.
[NB Detailed Fire & Evacuation Procedures are on the notice board in the kitchen]
- The HIRER shall not use the premises for any purpose other than that described in the Hiring
Agreement and shall not sub-hire or use the premises or allow the premises to be used for any
unlawful purpose or in any unlawful way nor do anything or bring on to the premises anything which
may endanger the same or render invalid any insurance policies in respect thereof, nor allow the
consumption of alcohol thereon, except within the Hall Terms of Licence.
- The HIRER shall declare to the Booking clerk the nature of the Hiring. The Hirer will be responsible
for obtaining licences from the Performing Rights Society, or otherwise, and for the observance of
the same and of all other regulations appertaining to the premises stipulated by the Fire Authority,
the Local Authority, the local Magistrates’ Court or otherwise.
- The HIRER shall ensure that any electrical appliances brought by them to the premises and used
there shall be safe and in good working order, PAT tested and used in a safe manner.
- The HIRER shall indemnify the COMMITTEE for the cost of repair of any damage done to any part
of the property including the curtilage thereof or the contents of the buildings which may occur during
the period of the hiring as a result of the hiring.
- NON PROFIT MAKING HIRERS of the hall are insured for public liability under the Village Hall
insurance. Other than this, all HIRERS shall be responsible for making arrangements to insure
against any third party claims which may lie against him/her (or the organisation if acting as a
representative) whilst using the Village Hall. (The Village Hall is insured only against any claim
arising out of its own negligence).
- The HIRER must report all accidents involving injury to the public to the Booking Clerk as soon as
possible and enter them immediately in the Accident Book kept in the First Aid box in the kitchen..
Any failure of equipment, either that belonging to the hall or brought in by the hirer, must also be
reported as soon as possible. Certain types of accident or injury must be reported on a special form
to the local authority. Members of the Hall Committee (via the Booking Agent) will give assistance incompleting this form. This is in accordance with the Executive Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and
Dangerous Occurrences Regulation 1995.
The HIRER shall take note of the Village Hall’s Health & Safety Policy Document found in the folder
in the kitchen also posted on the web site).
- The HIRER shall give the booking clerk details of any proposed animals including pets and birds
(with the exception of guide dogs) that the hirer wishes to be brought into the hall other than for a
special event agreed to by the Committee. Their presence will be at the discretion of the committee.
No animals whatsoever are to enter the kitchen at any time.
- A footpath passes through the grounds and hirers can expect dog walkers to pass through. A dog
waste bin is provided adjacent to the footpath.
- The HIRER shall ensure that any activities for children under eight years of age comply with the
provisions of The Children Act of 1989 and that only fit and proper persons have access to the
children. (See Safeguarding policy)
- The HIRER shall not, without prior permission from Sennen Parish Council, carry out or permit fly
posting or any other form of unauthorised advertisements for any event taking place at the Hall, and
shall indemnify the COMMITTEE accordingly against all action, claims and proceedings arising from
any breach of this condition. Failure to observe this condition may lead to prosecution by the local
authority. A notice board for events is provided.
- The HIRER shall, if selling goods on the premises, comply with Fair Trading Laws and any code of
practice used in connection with such sales. In particular, the Hirer shall ensure that the total prices
of all goods and services are prominently displayed, as shall be the organiser’s name and address
and that any claims to have discounted or reduced prices must comply with Consumer Protection
- THE USE OF PARAFFIN OR LIQUIFIED PETROLEUM GAS HEATERS IS NOT PERMITTED IN
- Fire pits in the grounds are not permitted. Bar-b-ques can be held with prior permission
- If the HIRER wishes to cancel the booking before the date of the event –the hirer must contact the
Booking Clerk as soon as possible. For large events such as a wedding booking, last minute
cancellations may incur a charge.
- In an emergency, The COMMITTEE reserves the right to refuse a booking without notice or to cancel
this hiring agreement, where it considers it necessary to do so, at any time before or during the term
of the agreement. Whenever possible, seven days’ notice in writing to the HIRER. The HIRER shall
be entitled, upon such notice, to reimbursement of such monies, including the deposit or a proportion
of the same, as have been paid by the HIRER to the COMMITTEE but the COMMITTEE shall not
be liable to make any further payment to the hirer.
- In non-emergency situations, a longer period of notice of cancellation will be given –usually 3
- In the event of the hall or any part thereof being rendered unfit for the use for which it has been
hired, the COMMITTEE shall not be liable to the HIRER for any resulting loss or damage whatsoever.
- The HIRER shall be responsible for leaving the premises and surrounding area (including the field
and toilets) in a clean and tidy condition, properly locked and secured, unless directed otherwise,
and any contents temporarily removed from their usual positions – including the stacking tables and
chairs – properly replaced, otherwise the COMMITTEE shall be at liberty to make an additional
- For small events and weekly hirers, all rubbish must be cleared and disposed of in the correct way.
HIRERS OF LARGE EVENTS SUCH AS WEDDINGS, PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO limitationsof the refuse collection you are now required to take away from the hall and its surrounding area, all
rubbish including glass bottles etc.
- The HIRER shall ensure that the minimum of noise is made on arrival and departure.
- Prices quoted to the HIRER are those currently in force. The COMMITTEE reviews its pricing
structure annually and any changes are likely to take effect from 1 April in any year.
- The HIRER shall, if preparing, serving or selling food, observe all relevant food health and hygiene
legislation and regulations).
- The COMMITTEE reserves the right to apply a deposit to certain events.
- .The hirer must ensure that all windows and dorrs are left secure before leaving the premises.
- The hirer must return the keys as directed, immediately on vacating the premises
Booking Agent: Janet Atkinson Tel 07858101463
Policy written by J Atkinson March 2018
Checked by Chris Mawer
Policy agreed on
Sonning Common Village Hall, Wood Lane, Sonning Common, Reading, RG4 9SL
For Bookings Telephone : 07763 134769
Reg. Charity No. 277512